Did you know that June is National Candy Month? What!? Added sugar is the single worst ingredient in the modern diet. Did you know there are 66 grams of sugar in a can of coke? That is 16 ½ teaspoons of sugar! There are 30 grams in a glazed doughnut, that’s about 8 teaspoons of sugar. It’s no wonder that diabetes is on the rise in the US, and increased sugar intake is a major contributing factor towards our obesity epidemic. So, even though June has been designated “National Candy Month,” the Kyocera Intelligence team encourages each other – and you – to move toward healthier snacks. Why? Because they are better for your health, you will feel better, and you’ll have more energy! Let’s face it…. In the office work environment, there are plenty of tempting sugary treats to tempt us. You put in a lot of time at work. You, no doubt, make sure you have breakfast as you run out the door and hopefully you grabbed that pre-made lunch you made while you were meal prepping on Sunday. Even if that plan didn’t work out so great, there are still good snacks that you can have at work to help you get through your day. Here’s a list of some healthy snack choices:
- Crudités – Veggies like broccoli, celery, radishes, peppers, and cucumbers are good ideas.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs – Make these ahead of time, so you cover your whole week!
- Single Servings of Cheese – You know, those individual packs of cheese.
- Avocados – The “Good Fat” benefits you and can also be a great thing to spread on your crackers or whole wheat toast.
- Whole-Grain Crackers – These are excellent to have around and can be eaten in moderation.
- Hummus – A great dip for the veggies or the crackers!
- Unsalted Nuts – Mixed nuts are great to have on hand at work. You can also go with just your favorite too. The unsalted part is the important part.
- Fruit – Go for the low sugar fruits like raspberries, strawberries, apples, and blueberries.